FOX News

Friday, August 29, 2008

Ready for Some Football?

I know I am. I have been invited by John to write some posts this year for the Nebraska Sports Journal. My name is Todd E. Jones, and I run Collegefootballtopten.com. Why would he ask me to post? I don't know. If you find, out let me know. He made some nice comments about wanting a non-biased opinion about Nebraska football. Well, I guess I could throw my opinion your way.

What do you need to know about me? I grew up in rural Arkansas, but I live in Fort Worth, TX now. Now, I think there are a lot of similarities between Arkansas and Nebraska. Folks in both states are hard working, people of character, salt of the earth type of folks. When I was a kid, I use to love watching the Nebraska vs. Oklahoma games. They were classics. I was always impressed by Tom Osbourne. He just seemed like a great coach and great person. Coach Osbourne was like the Tom Landry of college football. I was excited for Nebraska and Coach Osbourne when they finally won the National Title. Coach Osbourne was a good Christian guy and deserved everything he won.

I have been blogging college football for the past two seasons. I started with the Toddler Top Ten. I kept my own top ten for Division I A which they now call Bowl Championship Subdivision. It was fun. The next year I decided to get my own domain and continue. It was rather awkward as I kept some of my info on my own site and domain while keeping my top ten and commentary on my blogspot. Last year I struggled to keep up with a top ten last year because there were so many upsets. I changed much of focus to a commentary. Then, I decided to change how I did my blog during the offseason. I installed Wordpress on my domain and put everything on my domain. After making this move, starting in April I kicked everything up a notch or two. I became more intent on making it a top level blog. I checked out other sites and even contacted some including Brian at In the Bleachers.

I did play football in high school, but I was always intrigued with the strategies and schemes in football. I like to make up plays, etc. I like to evaluate what I see on TV or in person. Last night I watched a high school game here in Fort Worth and, subsequently, wrote a summary of the game at Pegasus News where I will be writing some articles this fall. My best writings were this summer when I broke down the offense, defense and schedules of TCU, SMU and the University of North Texas for my site. Most of those were also published by Pegasus News.

I plan on catching a couple of Nebraska games, checking stats, watching some footage and tell you what I think about the job Bo Pelini is doing. I think the biggest question Nebraska fans have to wonder is, "Was Pelini a better choice than Truner Gill?" I really like Gill, and he is doing a great job at Buffalo. Did you catch the score of their game with UTEP? John clued me in on that. I look forward to visiting with you this fall. And please, check out Collegefootballtopten.com!

2 comments:

Johnny Boehler said...

Thank Todd! I wanted to hear a non-biased view of Nebraska football. We will try to make you a fan before it is over with. Turner Gill has proven he is a great head coach. He has taken a team that was one of the bottom five teams in Division I and has turned it into a competitive team that can play against anybody. But usually you hire the strengths of an employee, coach, or coaching staff that offset the previous weakness of the previous employee, coach, or coaching staff. Obviously Nebraska wants its Blackshirts back and a solid defense and who else better to lead the new coaching staff than Bo Pelini. Thanks again!!! Any predictions to the NU score tomorrow? I think it could be a good game and I don't think it will be a real high scoring game. 27-2 or something like that. Also can Alabama knock off Clemson at Clemson. I don't think they can win in their venue but it could be interesting.

Anonymous said...

I'm interested in that Alabama/Clemson game too. I will be watching that one. I think its on ABC. I don't know anything about Western Michigan and I won't have time to check them out before the game tomorrow. I have to work on Saturday, but I'll come home and check out all of the results and turn on the Bama vs. Clemson game. I want to see that Clemson backfield. Right now, I am listening to the SMU game and it's not a very good debut for June Jones. I hope Pelini has a better one. I think Pelini's schemes will get Nebraska another win or two this year. I think they'll get W Mich. I think they are good enough on offense to hang 30 on them. We'll see what the defense will do.