FOX News

Monday, June 21, 2010

Greatest Dad That Ever Lived!


My dad was the greatest dad that ever lived. If I could change anything about my dad, what would I have changed? Nothing. I have thought about this may times and I honestly can't think of anything.

Dad had many passions. He had a passion for his wife, my mom. He had a passion for his kids and grandkids. He had a passion for his family. He had a passion for fishing and hunting. He had a passion for visiting with people. He had a passion for his garden. He had a passion for his faith.

Dad loved life but we lost him on October 4, 2006. Now when I say we lost him, but he is still here living in us. Many businesses have a mission statement and core values that drive their decisions. For myself, since dad's death and even before that, my decisions are made by asking myself "What would dad do?". By using this for my driving force in life, decisions have been better and easier because I end up making decisions that are right, even if everybody does not agree. I always know that if I do what dad would have done, God would be very happy because he was a great example of how we are to do things.

On this Father's Day, I think about all the great memories I have of my dad! I think of stacking hay as dad brought in the bales with the farmhand. Irrigation was a big part of our summer and when we had a break in the ditch, dad and I would pitch the dirt towards the break where my sister was laying in the ditch trying to keep the water from running so fast. A big part of my life was all the fishing and hunting experiences I had the pleasure to be a part of with my dad. They were events. There are so many memories. My dad was the best hunter and fisherman I have ever seen but he was always more happy when us kids were successful. He was proud of his family.

Even though it is Father's Day, I feel very grateful that I have a mom that although she is different in some ways, she is just as great. Thanks mom!

I miss my dad. I miss him calling me and wondering when I was coming to Orleans again even though I had been there three times in the last week. I miss driving up to mom's house and not seeing him sitting at the patio table. I miss working with him in his garden. I miss the hunting and fishing experiences and talking about previous hunting and fishing experiences. I missed dad at my two daughter's weddings. He was ALWAYS so proud of his grandkids. He loved them very much. I miss all his stories. I just miss visiting with him.

I just miss him because he was the greatest dad that ever lived.

So if your dad is still alive give him a big hug today and tell him you love him. Our time on earth goes so fast.

1 comment:

Angela Swanson said...

You just had to make me cry, didn't you John?

Your third paragraph certainly hit home with me. I cannot count the number of times I've asked the same question, only in my case, that of both Dad and Mom. Funny, how asking the question does make the hard decisions a bit easier. Even though and as you write "even if everybody does not agree." At the end of the day, there is great peace of mind in knowing you've made the right decision.

By shear chance I ended up here reading your article this morning. Funny how things work, isn't it?!?! Or, as my Mother used to say many times "the Lord works in mysterious ways." So true.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Angie Swanson