FOX News

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Have you been to a basketball game lately?

I've been asked this question a dozen dimes this past week. I answer with a phrase "I've only been to two games and I'm a season ticket holder. It hasn't worked for me to go much this year. Besides that they aren't playing so well." The person looks at me strangely because they are referring to the women's team. That is what Nebraska fans are excited about and they should be at 25-0. Going to a basketball game in Lincoln today means going to watch the women. Fans are excited!! It's about about the only game in town today.

Women's basketball had 11,000 fans on Ash Wednesday vs. Iowa State. Yesterday they packed in 12,800 for Colorado. Last year they had a 3,200 average in attendance. This year they are at 6,500 and are headed to a top 10 finish in attendance in college women's basketball. Fans will come if you have a winner.

For this fan the Nebraska men have had three losses that really bothered me. That was the 56-53 loss to Iowa State at home, the 40 point loss at Texas and the 16 point loss to Missouri at home. Otherwise they have been competitive. Let's hope they finish strong.

Nebraska football is kind of quiet right now. The coaches, I am sure, are preparing for what they want to do next year. The trend is to run with more power sets. Maybe we will finally see a fullback run the ball. Maybe three or four times a game. Let's hope we do!!

No comments: