FOX News

Monday, June 30, 2014

Best Sporting Event I EVER ATTENDED!

Ok, I went to the LSU-Nebraska football game when Nebraska won their first National Championship. Nerbaska was rated third but the two teams, Ohio State and Notre Dame, rated ahead of Nebraska were beaten that day. Nebraska won 17-12. Goosebumps!

I saw the Alex Henery 57 yard field goal to beat Colorado when we were beaten. Goosebumps!

I missed the Hail Mary pass this year against Northwestern (saw it on TV) and I wasn't in Columbia for the "Miracle Catch" (saw on TV also).

I have seen many college football games and college basketball games. I was at Creighton's last game this year when Greg McDermott hit 45 and had 3000 career points. It was on Senior Night to boot. Goosebumps!

I saw Nebraska in the stand all game" victory over Wisconsin to allow them to go to the NCAA tournament. Goosebumps!

I have boxes of tickets f events I have attended including a Women's Pro Tennis Tournament in Philadelphia. I have been to the Indy 500 and many Nascar races including the Brickyard, Richmond, Martinsville, and Phoenix. A couple of years ago I attended the race at Daytona.

Saturday night I attended the best of them all. Why? Well let's see.

The event was the WBO Lightweight Championship fight at the CenturyLink in Omaha. I attended with my brother Michael. The even took place because of Terrance "Bud" Crawford who is the world's champion. He gave up part of his purse to have it in Omaha. They wanted Council Bluffs or somewhere else.

I have been following the guy who wore a Nebraska cap in the ring on national tv a few years back. I kept watching him every chance he was on tv. This kid was good. He was Muhammed Ali in the Lightweight division. He was fun to watch. He was dang good. And he was the first kid from Nebraska that was in the national spotlight in boxing since Ron Stander in the early 70's.

Crawford has a quiet confidence and he looks like a good guy. He's a winner and he's fun to watch.

Crawford fought a very tough opponent in Yuriorkis Gamboa. His promoter is "50 Cent" Jackson who led him to the ring. Gamboa was 23-0 with 16 knockouts which was identical to Crawford.  Gamboa was a gold medal winner at the Olympics. Gamboa was pretty darn good.

What made this event the best?

1. World Championship fight!
2. Michael Buffer was the ring announcer and he is more electric that I even imagined. Wow, he is amazing. I think he like the crowd in Omaha a lot.
3. Ring girls! They were amazing and so fun to watch. Enough said.
4. The crowd!!  Boxing crowds have a mixture of a number of nationalities. Most of these fans are so excited and vocal and animated. 11,000 fans like this is equal to 80,000 fans at a Nebraska football game. I am white and I am a pretty boring fan compared to this crowd. They grow on you also and I found myself having fun and yelling and having a good time. If I acted like that at a Nebraska football or basketball game I might have to take a breathalyzer. We need more of this crowd at the NU games. Anyway to explain why it was the best it was because the fans were having so so much fun!
5. Terrance Crawford. The BEST! He's going to put Omaha and Nebraska on the map!!

Can't wait to see his next move.

I think Omaha will have another fight in the near future but it won't be very easy to get tickets like we had this time. Every fight fan will want to go next time. Just so much fun and MAJOR GOOSEBUMPS!

No comments: